An Open Letter To Kid Cudi


This last Friday Kid Cudi released a track entitled “Surfin” off his upcoming album “Passion, Pain & Demon Slayin”.  Featuring Pharrell Williams, the joint was a banger- the type that instantly puts a smile on your face.  Sounding like the Cudi of old with a slight twist, the peek into the upcoming album reminded fans why he is a legend in every sense.  However, even legends have their struggles as was unfortunately witnessed in a letter to fans that Scott posted on his Facebook last night. 


The first time I listened to “Man on the Moon”, I refused to like it because I was one of those kids into garage music that would not admit that rap was “real music”.  That changed.  I couldn’t stay away for long as the melodies hooked me and the beats soothed.  I soon found myself finding peace through my teenage years with my earphones in listening to the reflective lyrics of “Man On The Moon 2” and blaring “Indicud” on my way to my senior prom.  After my first heartbreak, listening to “The Frequency” for hours on repeat while driving seemed to be the only thing that calmed me.  This last February I was lucky enough to witness Cudi live at The Observatory in Santa Ana and realized while watching the performance just how much his music has helped me out over the years.  I know millions of others can say the same, finding comfort in the midst of turmoil through his art.  If Scott Mescudi was to ever see what I have to write here’s what I would say:

You mention feeling ashamed to have been “living a lie”.  There’s no shame in admitting difficulty and imperfection.  There’s no way you’d ever be able to impact so many kids the way you have if you ignored your own struggles and painted a picturesque portrait of life through your music.  There’s enough of that.  We love you because we can sense and listen to your struggle and see absolute determination through the midst of it.  It’s inspiring and that’s why we eat it up and look up to you.  It might be scary to hear that people look up to you because I’m sure you’re acutely aware of your flaws as only you can, and would never want the responsibility to act as an inspiration as someone who has figured things out.  Just know we do look up to you, and it’s because you’re honest and transparent.  Your music is a comfort and a peace and we thank you for giving it to us as well as for your positive energy. 


You’ve done enough for us.  Give back to yourself.  Take time away with your family and get closer to that peace you’ve been searching for.  If you never release another track but find a break from the “ragin violent storm inside your heart”, just know that’s all we want.  Free your mind from any pressure you may feel to give to others and feed that love to yourself.  You deserve it.  We wish you the best and are sending up prayers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram