Surviving Your First Year of Living Abroad

All photos in article taken by Derrick Freske | @dfreske
Moving abroad is intimidating and unpredictable. You don’t know what to expect when it comes to exploring, meeting people, finding a job, going to school, and everything in between. But once you pass the daunting and unexpected, entering a new chapter of life by travelling to a new town, city, state, or even country can be well-worth the nerves that fall apart during the moving process. 

Last September I moved from a small farm in the Canadian prairies to a city approximately 1,300 miles away from my home to attend university. Even though my mom and step-dad were there to accompany me during the transition, I was worried and couldn’t help but think, What if I don’t make friends? or What if I get lost on a bus and never find my way back to campus? (which actually almost happened once). Thankfully I made it through my first year of living abroad with triumphs under my belt like passing all my classes and making more than enough friends. I figured it was a more than successful year, so here are some tips on how to make the best of your first year living/studying abroad, and how to always return home by the time the sun sets.

The biggest thing to remember is to always keep an open mind. Even if your whole being is against an idea, keep in mind that your opinion is not the only opinion. I had a hard time processing this because I was raised in a town where just about every person had the same perspective on religion, traditions, lifestyle, culture, etc. Eventually you will understand that having different ideas is acceptable, regardless of whether you agree or disagree. 

Believe it or not, public transit was one of the scariest challenges I learned to conquer (more or less). A good idea is to grab a friend, ride the bus for hours on end until you’ve grasped the basic routes of the city. And if you feel inadequate about riding the bus, remember this: once, I pressed the “STOP” button on the bus to get off, but I didn’t actually know how to open the doors of the bus. I stood by the door while everyone on the bus stared at me, anticipating my exit. Instead, I waited cluelessly until the next stop when someone else got off. 


After you’ve mastered public transit, start exploring the new land that surrounds you! I only began to discover the new city I now call ‘home’ in the final stretch of school, and I regret not investigating the city sooner. Research cafés, book stores, concert venues, donut shops, museums, etc. and write them in a log. It’s a great way to meet new people, establish self-awareness, and create unforgettable memories. I’m surprised by how many cheap concerts - some of which were performed by many of my now favourite artists - I found out about by walking around, reading window signs, and checking Facebook.

The last thing I suggest is to get involved. I resent my decision not to join any clubs or teams my first year. Rather, I hung out with my friends on campus for the majority of time (which was nice, but getting involved would’ve added more content to my day-to-day schedule.) Another key point I learned was that you need to go out to find what you’re looking for because it will not come to you. Whether that means going out to discover the best burger in the city or publishing an article in the school paper, you need to chase your desire.


So, while you’re flying thousands of miles away from home this fall or driving to the town over to start a new chapter in life, consider these pieces of advice and hopefully you will find what you’re looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram