The Good In The Bad


              The news is depressing as hell.  Literally.  Read a portion of any religious writing describing hell and you’ll realize you're looking at it on the television.  It seems like every time I check Twitter I’m told of the most recent shooting or terrorist attack that occurred that day.  Take a look at our presidential candidates and it’s hard to believe that, in a nation of 318 million people, the two nominees are the most prepared individuals we have to lead a nation.  In short, any coverage of major events shows a country and a world that we are scared to have our children grow up in.  Either that, or we’ll numb our minds by watching a five minute segment on one of the Kardashian’s newest app release.  A little better, but not much.
With that being said, I realized something during the last week.  People aren’t bad.  Yes, I have no idea how some individuals are able to go home to visit mom and dad and look them in the eye.  There are some terrible people who have done terrible things, and when we broadcast their actions worldwide it is easy to paint a picture of disparity.  But, I’ve seen the good in people. 
Remember Orlando?  Forty-nine innocent people were killed by one hateful individual.  Absolutely a tragedy.  Read about it and it shows a world with no hope.  However, do you know how many people lined up to donate blood the next day?  Thousands lined up the next and following days to donate blood and do their absolute best to right one person’s wrong.  The donation centers literally reached capacity and had to ask some to turn away and return the next day.  That was a nation's response to one person’s wrong.  No one wants this.  It was one individual, and does not portray accurately a world who desires peace.  We are stronger and fight back against the actions of such a violent minority.
How about the state of economy and homelessness?  During the recession in 2007 nearly 20,000 people were made homeless due in a large part to the greed and selfishness of corrupt bankers on Wall Street.  An unfair consequence to the greed of only a few.  I remember watching the news during that time and thinking it wasn’t long before the paragraphs we read about the Great Depression in our history classes became a reality all because of the actions of a few.  That wasn’t the case, thankfully.  But still, it’s miserable to consider how many lives were altered by the greed of millionaires.  What a shitty world, right?  Not at all.  This last winter I spent my Christmas day volunteering at the homeless shelter serving lunch to those who were down on their luck.  Want to know what happened?  There were more volunteers than there were homeless.  It was refreshing.  People are good.
 I live in Santa Clarita which over the course of the last week has experienced a wildfire that has caused more than 10,000 homes to be evacuated.  The valley has a continual smoke in the air and ash on the ground, but guess what?  I’ve seen it has brought out the best in people.  Multiple friends of mine have had to evacuate their homes and have immediately been welcomed into the homes of others.  I’ve watched as friends of mine have spent entire days at the local high schools collecting donations to provide relief and to support those fighting the fires.  I have friends in safer areas opening up their property to accept and care for the horses and other large animals of complete strangers who had to be evacuated.  I work at a sandwich shop.  I watched as my boss received a call asking for any help he could offer.  He immediately called all five stores that he owns in the valley and told the employees to spend the next few hours making as many sandwiches as possible so that he could collect them and drive them to the firefighters.  That generosity has not stopped in the last three days and I’ve watched as my friends are coming in on their day off to make food to provide sustenance to those fighting the fire.  I’ve seen as hundreds upon hundreds of sandwiches have been prepared and carried out the door with no ulterior motive other than to help those who are helping us.  I’ve seen a community form together in a way that I never imagined possible.  It is a positive force that I have never seen portrayed on the news.
Ultimately, I think I’ve started seeing people for who they really are.  Good. Yes, terrible things happen to good people and there is no way of painting that in a light that is anything but unfair.  Yes, there are despicable people who have committed hate crimes that end and change lives forever, but I’ve found that people are generally better than that.  I refuse to let the newest update on what horrendous event has occurred let me dictate my views on humanity as a whole.  I’ve seen terrible people.  I’ve seen mistakes.  I’ve seen regret, and I’ve also seen no remorse.   But I hold to the belief, that as a whole, people are good.  In the face of the tragedies that seem to be occurring all around, it is that fact I hold to because I have seen it demonstrated time and time again.
              

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram