Breaking Creative Boundaries

All photos in article taken by Evan Sheehan | @evantsheehan
Art should push boundaries and break down walls. So it is no doubt that the hardest part about revealing personal creative work is perhaps the fear of stepping out of our comfort zone and exposing ourselves to the world’s critics. By doing so we allow viewers to take a peak into the mechanisms that rule our mind and heart. Defying norms is a wary undertaking. Nowadays everyone is cautious not to step on toes in a debate about feminism, race, or humanity itself. As a people we are more “woke” than ever, but also perhaps more stubborn. 

In the midst of writing editorials for Mad Sounds, I found myself writing bossy tirades about a variety of pressing world issues. I was worried that by posting these articles I would be crossing the line. When having a close friend examine my previous article, the only feedback she gave me was, “This article is much more lighthearted than your other ones; I like it!” Although I was thrilled she enjoyed the article, I was also taken back by her comment. Are all my articles supposed to be cheerful and passive? I wondered. I started to doubt all my ideas as they were about serious and well-past lighthearted subjects. I struggled to come up with things to write about because most of the lighthearted topics did not interest me the way critical matters do. What I learned is that we need to shed light on the darkest social matters, because otherwise they will sit there, growing larger and more ominous every day. If we don’t tackle those issues now, it’s going to become harder to do so when we finally decide we are “ready”.

If we furnish our minds with simple thinking, rather than trying to conquer colossal concepts, we will make no progress. Where would we be if we did not push the limits? As creative artists, stepping out of our comfort zones is essential because it leads us to breaking boundaries, discovering new territory and gaining self awareness. We need to have confidence in our work even if our work does not yield the response we are looking for; that is how we will strengthen our art. 

Vulnerability and passion are two traits an artist needs to have in order to create. Being afraid of what other people will think of your work is what will kill your creativity. In order to produce something you are proud of, you cannot be afraid. You have to remember that your creation gives you purpose and that it means something to you. The main reason a piece of art attracts someone’s attention is because it relates to them on some level. Unfortunately, not everyone will find meaning in your art, which is exactly why you have to focus on the meaning it does give to some. 

If we generate all our energy in to being safe and sensitive while creating, our art will become dull and unstimulating. So, make art for yourself and see who follows.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram