The Difficulty of Starting Something New

Photo by Willow Greene
Change is a complicated and daunting process. It can take a lifetime to finally reach the goal you have been pursuing, whether that is in relationships, a job, traveling, or figuring out who you are. Fear of disappointing people who care about you and fear of the future are road blocks that make arriving to your destination extra difficult.

I see Change as three steps: risk, perspective and control. When you take a risk, there is bound to be a change either in your character or in your life. After you take a risk, your perspective is what determines the change to be beneficial or detrimental. Once you decide the character of the change, you can take control of the change, and ultimately, your life. 

This summer I have learned that life is too short to not be picky. We have limited time here on earth, so why spend it in a constant gloom? I have had friends complain to me about their job, their dissatisfaction with their significant other, and their unhappiness with their college program. I think people often forget that they have control of their life. We become so comfortable in the position we are in that the thought of stepping out of our comfort zone seems menacing.

So, why is change so hard? Before I cracked through my timid shell and started embracing what the world has to offer, I stuck to what was familiar. Throughout high school I was afraid that, by changing who I was, I would disappoint the expectations of my family and friends, or, if I took a risk to chase after something new, I would fail and lose what I had before. But now, I do not understand how I lived a systematic life of doubt for so many years. If you are settling because you are afraid that nothing better will come along, that is just as unsatisfactory. 

Our generation has adopted a mindset where being selfish is not necessarily considered a terrible quality. We are learning that looking out for ourselves and treating ourselves is rewarding and addresses our needs that no other person can fulfill. In my first year of university I realized that if I wanted something done, I had to do it myself. In the real world people do not wait for you; they move on to somebody who is ready for a challenge. You have to chase opportunities because they will not idle by, anticipating your decision. 


By resisting change, you are preventing the growth of your mind. Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. was an American judge who said, “A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.” I hold these words close to mind because they speak the truth. When I moved from a small farming community to the “big” city, I realized there is so much more to life than following tradition. The problem with us is that we are addicted to predictability. If we can see it coming, we can plan for it, which makes life easier for us. But when did easier become better?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram