Progress, Not Perfection

Photo by Willow Greene

If you are anything like me, you focus more on the outcome of things rather than the process of reaching the result. I typically strive for perfection in everything I do, especially in my writing because sometimes I am extremely self-conscious about it. Even if I am writing a rough draft, I have to make sure the grammar, structure, spelling, etc. is in order, otherwise I will start over. Lately, however, I have been learning that perfection should come second to progress. Like I mentioned in one of my previous articles, I think it is important to embrace change and try new things. And from process, that is usually the result. 

With a new school year beginning and stress levels on the rise, I easily get lost in the outcome of all things. Sometimes it is good to step back and take a look at the bigger picture, but I try to remind myself to also take life day by day instead of getting caught up in the stress of what is to come in a year from now. Between taking deep breaths and counting to ten, it is difficult not to get distracted by the result rather than the progress. It is discouraging when the result is not what you were hoping. Even if it is slightly off, the whole plan can be ruined.

So, I compiled a few reasons for why we strive for perfection and I came up with a these three possibilities: 1. We want to prove our worth; 2. We feel pressured by external forces (like friends, family, or mentors), or; 3. We honestly want to improve our abilities. For the most part, these are healthy reasons. All three are incentives to better ourselves. But when we allow them to shadow over the learning and growth that emerges from process, we are not understanding the full experience of what reaching goals should be about. It is not what you reap that defines you, but rather the strength, determination, passion, and attitude that shines through from the midst of your core.

We do not give ourselves enough credit for accomplishing “simple” tasks, whether that is completing an extra two miles in your weekly run or if you picked up jogging as a hobby only this morning. Putting ourselves down may seem modest and polite, but in the long run, we are sabotaging our confidence, which makes reaching “perfection” an even tougher challenge. We all have differing ideas of what “perfection” is, so why does such a concept exist if we cannot agree on a definition? Perfection is a part of our imagination, and our imagination stops at the border of reality. 

For the rest of the week, month, and year, continue to pursue your best self, but remember that the learning and growth that unfolds during the process of something is just as crucial to the outcome as the result itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram