Should I Wear These Mules?


Should I Wear These Mules?
Story by Brindy Francis





High school (noun): the hardest place to express yourself in any way since before man. I, being a high school junior, understand your pain when it comes to wondering whether it would be a good idea wearing those super poofy blue jeans to school or not. It’s seems a little difficult to have your own sense of style while roaming the halls of your own public high school.


When you saw those mules at that thrift shop, there was no doubt in your mind that, quote on quote, these. are. the. ones.


Then, you took them home. Sunday night rolls around. Those mules would look killer with my new button down top and black jeans! Monday morning arrives. Wait, maybe I should just wear my converse today. They don’t go as well with these pants as I thought they would, but I’ll wear those mules tomorrow for sure.


Alas, you wear the shoes. But oh no! You know who gave you a dirty look after noticing your footwear. You’re never wearing these shoes again. They’re too wild for this specific environment. Once you graduate, you’ll be able to express yourself without judgement, right? Wrong.


Everyone will be ridiculed by the things they wear, no matter your age or setting. I have always had a sense of style that a good percentage of the people around me did not appreciate. Every day, I wake up and wonder if this item of clothing is pushing it, but I realize that I’m not. I don’t need to be another puzzle piece. I am my own puzzle! I bring whatever colors and shapes to the table that I want to and I embrace it.


We are taught to believe that if you don’t fit a certain standard, you are an outcast. Yeah, sure, some person may call your clothes “out of the ordinary,” but that’s good! Be peculiar. Make an image for yourself. A great key of communication is, believe it or not, through the clothing you put on your body, so do not be tempted to throw something on that you’re only wearing to impress a crowd. Wear something you find pleasing to your eye and flaunt it. Be confident.

In the end, I promise you will get more compliments than insults. People like when you go out of your way to make your style unique and original. They find inspiration in what you do. Everyone seems to focus on the negative feedback when there is double the amount of positive feedback. So, YES. Wear those damn shoes! They’re flattering on you. And why waste $23 anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram