Amber Run Album Review

Photo courtesy of Raquel Candeias
Amber Run’s debut album 5AM strikes up a memory of old love, hardship, and loss. When I listen to the group's melancholy, yet euphoric anthems, I feel like I am listening to pieces of myself. As if their words are digging up long forgotten thoughts and feelings that I did not have the nerve to face until now. Their lyrics are honest and relatable. Joe Keogh the lead singer, pulls you in with his hypnotic, ghostly vocals while the rest of the band mashes traditional instruments to create a haunting, yet soothing melody. 

Photo courtesy of DaysTune
The five piece British band hailing from Nottingham, England, broke their first deluxe album last year following the release of three EPs in 2014: Noah, Spark, and Pilot. Needless to say, 2014 was a busy year for these guys in terms of prepping and learning the ins and outs of the music world. Their latest release, however, was earlier this year with a brand new single Haze

Photo courtesy of Kluens
Laced in the midst of all their songs are hypnotic harmonies and captivating buildups. A gripping string of tell-all words form a story that listeners can relate to, drawing on the nostalgia hidden in all of us. Although lyrics about lost love and misfortune are not part of a groundbreaking musical revolution, they are, however, presented through harmonies that control the movement of the song, and set Amber Run apart from many of the desperate and determined artists striving to take a piece of the music industry. 

Their lyrics may not always be clever, but they are truthful narratives of experiences that we can all find relevance in. With phrases like, "We got work in the morning, but it's nearly 5 AM. Is this really what we envisioned? We won't be twenty-one again," I think of my current state of life and wonder if I'm really where I want to be, or if I'm idling for the time being. It reminds me that life is short and that time will go on, whether we are happy or not. 

We can find something familiar in Amber Run, and I think that something is the remainder of passion after defeat and the will to go on. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram