An Open Letter to the Class of 2017




I guess we've made it! We're so close to going our separate ways and becoming the people we've always wanted to be. It's bitter sweet- isnt it? Next year we'll be gone. There are some things I wanted to tell y'all before were all really drowning in applications and exams, or (if I'm being completely honest) too lazy.

I wanted to thank you. I know we haven't all been the closest over the years but each and every one of you has had an effect on my life and has helped me become the person I am today. Whether we spent every weekend together or never did anything but smile at each other in the hallways, I hope we'll remember each other.

You've given me the stories that I'll tell my own children years from now.  In them you'll become gladiators and princes and dragons and tools to teach lessons. You've taught me countless over the years, whether it be obscure latin phrases, the proper way to hug someone, or even the depths of my own strength and resilience. I'm so grateful for each and every moment.

It's taken me years to come out of my shell, so to speak, and I'm so glad I got to do so with y'all. 20 years from now we may have not spoken since graduation, or we might not even remember each other's names, but I'll always remember the smiles in the hallway and the feeling of solidarity in knowing that you're feeling the same things I am right now. Being a part of our class has meant the world to me. As the year goes by I hope we can continue to make memories to last a lifetime, and a legacy to last even longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram